Saturday, November 12, 2011

How Often Should You Change Spark Plug Wires on a 2003 Kia Spectra?

My 2003 kia spectra has 90,000 miles on it. I've never changed the plugs or wires. I am thinking of giving it a tuneup.





Should I replace the wires along with the plugs? Also, I noticed for spark plug wires on Autozone that it only comes with 2. This is a 4 cylinder, so have they changed the way wires are connected now or something?





Thanks!|||You are due. Change the wires and plugs together. The AutoZone set is a bit confusing it looks like those cars came fitted with standard coil and wire arrangements and a coil on plug setup. You'll have to determine which you have there. I suggest a visit to NAPA Auto Parts because they show both as possible parts. You'll also need 4 NGK BKR6ES spark plugs and a tube of this [below] for the threads.|||If you call a Kia dealer, they will answer your questions for you. Also


be sure to ask, if there are any plugs that are difficult to get to.|||The plugs are most like way overdue. The wires may or may not need to be replaced. I'm sure it would be more obvious when you replace the plugs.|||The problem with changing your plug wires is that what you buy just may be worse that what you now have. The fact is every one and their brother is making cheap plug wires, they come fro m all over the globe. Most new wires are probably not as good a quality as what you now have on. Face it, the factory will not use substandard wires on a new vehicle and the wires that some from the factory some time will last the life of the vehicle. So, with all that being said, if my old factory wires were still firing my spark plus then I would keep my older wires rather than taking the chance of buying a set from china that will only last me a year or so before they break down or fall apart because they get a little oil on the rubber coatings.





Now For the spark plug education. I have a 1949 model 9N Ford tractor that I just changed the spark plugs in. They finally burned down to a point to where I could not set a decent gap. You read that correctly, 1949.





Here is the deal on spark plugs. If the plug is firing then it is good. Only when the plug stops firing is it bad. All you need to do to a spark plug is re-gap it every so many miles. In stead of buying new plugs buy your self a new spark plug gaping gauge and do as most professional mechanics do, just re-gap them and re-install them. One of the biggest rip offs in the mechanic business is selling tune ups that require all new parts, where as in most cases the all the new parts are not needed. Think about it, if the plug is firing, why replace it. But, they do need to be properly gaped. My Jeep has 100k plus miles on it and I still have the same plugs that came in the engine when it was new. About two months ago I pulled all the plugs out and found that most of the gaps had opened up a few thousandths. The book called for my plugs gaps to be 45 thou. So I re-gaped tthemand put them back to work.





Most in the know professional mechanics with any common sense hardly ever buys new plugs for his stock every day driver vehicles.





Now, what I just told you does not ppertainto race engines which are an different breed of engine and under far more stresses than a stock type engine.





Good luck my friend

No comments:

Post a Comment